|ICL3221CA||1 Microamp Supply-Current, +3V to +5.5V, 250kbps, RS-232 Transmitters/Receivers|
|ICL3221CA Datasheet PDF : 28 Pages |
ICL3221, ICL3222, ICL3223,
ICL3232, ICL3241, ICL3243
March 1, 2006
One Microamp Supply-Current, +3V to +5.5V,
250kbps, RS-232 Transmitters/Receivers
The Intersil ICL32XX devices are 3.0V to 5.5V powered
RS-232 transmitters/receivers which meet ElA/TIA-232 and
V.28/V.24 specifications, even at VCC = 3.0V. Targeted
applications are PDAs, Palmtops, and notebook and laptop
computers where the low operational, and even lower
standby, power consumption is critical. Efficient on-chip
charge pumps, coupled with manual and automatic
powerdown functions (except for the ICL3232), reduce the
standby supply current to a 1µA trickle. Small footprint
packaging, and the use of small, low value capacitors ensure
board space savings as well. Data rates greater than
250kbps are guaranteed at worst case load conditions. This
family is fully compatible with 3.3V only systems, mixed 3.3V
and 5.0V systems, and 5.0V only systems.
The ICL324X are 3-driver, 5-receiver devices that provide a
complete serial port suitable for laptop or notebook
computers. Both devices also include noninverting always-
active receivers for “wake-up” capability.
The ICL3221, ICL3223 and ICL3243, feature an
automatic powerdown function which powers down the
on-chip power-supply and driver circuits. This occurs when
an attached peripheral device is shut off or the RS-232
cable is removed, conserving system power automatically
without changes to the hardware or operating system.
These devices power up again when a valid RS-232
voltage is applied to any receiver input.
Table 1 summarizes the features of the devices represented
by this data sheet, while Application Note AN9863
summarizes the features of each device comprising the
ICL32XX 3V family.
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available as an Option
(RoHS Compliant) (See Ordering Info)
• 15kV ESD Protected (Human Body Model)
• Drop in Replacements for MAX3221, MAX3222,
MAX3223, MAX3232, MAX3241, MAX3243, SP3243
• ICL3221 is Low Power, Pin Compatible Upgrade for 5V
• ICL3222 is Low Power, Pin Compatible Upgrade for 5V
MAX242, and SP312A
• ICL3232 is Low Power Upgrade for HIN232/ICL232 and
Pin Compatible Competitor Devices
• RS-232 Compatible with VCC = 2.7V
• Meets EIA/TIA-232 and V.28/V.24 Specifications at 3V
• Latch-Up Free
• On-Chip Voltage Converters Require Only Four External
• Manual and Automatic Powerdown Features (Except
• Guaranteed Mouse Driveability (ICL324X Only)
• Receiver Hysteresis For Improved Noise Immunity
• Guaranteed Minimum Data Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . 250kbps
• Guaranteed Minimum Slew Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6V/µs
• Wide Power Supply Range . . . . . . . Single +3V to +5.5V
• Low Supply Current in Powerdown State. . . . . . . . . . .1µA
• Any System Requiring RS-232 Communication Ports
- Battery Powered, Hand-Held, and Portable Equipment
- Laptop Computers, Notebooks, Palmtops
- Modems, Printers and other Peripherals
- Digital Cameras
- Cellular/Mobile Phones
NO. OF NO. OF
PART NUMBER Tx.
TABLE 1. SUMMARY OF FEATURES
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 1999-2006. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
|Direct download click here|
|Share Link :|