Not recommended for new designs –
Please use 25AA160A/B or 25LC160A/B.
16K SPI™ Bus Serial EEPROM
Device Selection Table
• Low-power CMOS technology:
- Write current: 3 mA maximum
- Read current: 500 µA typical
- Standby current: 500 nA typical
• 2048 x 8-bit organization
• 16 byte page
• Write cycle time: 5 ms max.
• Self-timed erase and write cycles
• Block write protection:
- Protect none, 1/4, 1/2 or all of array
• Built-in write protection:
- Power on/off data protection circuitry
- Write enable latch
- Write-protect pin
• Sequential read
• High reliability:
- Endurance: 1 M cycles
- Data retention: > 200 years
- ESD protection: > 4000V
• 8-pin PDIP and SOIC packages
• Temperature ranges supported:
- Industrial (I):
-40°C to +85°C
- Automotive (E) (25C160): -40°C to +125°C
*25XX160 is used in this document as a generic part number
for the 25AA160/25LC160/25C160 devices.
SPI™ is a trademark of Motorola Inc.
The Microchip Technology Inc. 25AA160/25LC160/
25C160 (25XX160*) are 16 Kbit Serial Electrically
Erasable PROMs. The memory is accessed via a
simple Serial Peripheral Interface™ (SPI™) compati-
ble serial bus. The bus signals required are a clock
input (SCK) plus separate data in (SI) and data out
(SO) lines. Access to the device is controlled through a
Chip Select (CS) input.
Communication to the device can be paused via the
hold pin (HOLD). While the device is paused, transi-
tions on its inputs will be ignored, with the exception of
chip select, allowing the host to service higher priority
2004 Microchip Technology Inc.